Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Labor & Delivery

For those of you who want the details... here they are!

Wednesday, Oct. 15th: I had high blood pressure at my dr.'s apt and a little protein in my urine. Since this was the first time during pregnancy that I had issues, my dr. said he would check me again on Friday.

Thursday, Oct. 16th: Was in the hospital from midnight to 6am getting more testing done on my high blood pressure. Was put on bed rest for the rest of the day.

Friday, Oct. 17th: Went to the dr. @ 8:30 am. My blood pressure was higher and I had more protein in my urine. With other testing it was determined that I had Pre-eclampsia. When the mother has pre-eclampsia, it could lead to HELLP sydrome or even having a grand mal seizure. The cure for pre-eclampsia is to deliver the baby. It was decided that Hunter's labor would be induced and I was headed for the hospital.

Friday at the hospital: I was given pitocin around noon then started on a medcine called magnesium sulfate to prevent seizures. The pitocin is supposed to start labor but the magnesium stops it. Progress was incredibly slow because these two medicines contradict each other. My water was broke a little after 12 and I spent the evening playing cards, watching movies, and spending time with family. Other side effects from the medicine wwere dry mouth, nausea, and a severe headache. I had all of these. Friday evening I asked for an epidural, which only slowed down my labor even more, and the epidural only worked for about 30 minutes. (My body never reacts to medicine the way it should) The anesthesiologist would have to give me doses manually, but they only lasted for about 30 minutes. I had about 4 of these.

Saturday, Oct. 18th: The doctor decided to lower my dosage of magnesium and up my dosage of pitocin. Since my epidural wasn't working it was easy to progress! I was finally dialted and ready to push around 11:40 am. Because of the medicine I was only having contractions every 5 minutes, so I would push and then wait 5 minutes, push and then wait. At 1:10 pm Hunter was born! There were respitory therapists in the room to check Hunter's breathing because of the magnesium I was on. While he was being checked, I had a post-partum hemmorage. I was almost a candidate for a blood transfusion, but did not end up needing one in the end.

It was a long process, but it was not hard or too painful. Hunter was well worth the journey!

5 comments:

Ryan & Amanda said...

I am sure you are glad that whole process is over. I had the same problems as you right before Alli was born so I had to stop teaching school a week and a half early and be on bed rest. It was not fun because I had time to do whatever I wanted, but couldn't! Then the doctor ended up inducing early, but it was still 2 days after her ultrasound due date. I am just glad for you that Hunter was able to come early and hopefully he can be done with the lights soon!

Lindsay & Mackay said...

I'm glad that you and Hunter are healthy...and I also hope that his jaundice clears up so you can hold him!

andrea said...

Wow. It sounds like you both went through a lot! I hope you get rested up and that his Jaundice goes away. You have such a cute family! My baby is only 6 weeks, but seeing how tiny they are right when they're born already makes me want to have another one. Enjoy it!

heather said...

Oh my, Stacie! I am glad you are all ok. I'm sorry your epidural didn't work, but it's a good thing you are so stinkin' tough! Hunter is absolutely adorable...but I'm sure you already knew that! :)

wonder woman said...

Oh my word, Stacie! I had no idea this was such an ordeal for you. What a nightmare. I'm so sorry that all the meds made it more complicated.