Monday, October 27, 2008

Grandma McGuire


This past Friday I found out that my Grandma McGuire passed away. I had so many emotions running inside of me that the only way I could deal with them was by sobbing. Having just had a baby and still full of hormones, I felt overwhelmed with emotion. Yet, having someone you care so much about pass away would grant many tears no matter what.
She had a goal that before she passed away she wanted to see my baby and try to be at his blessing if she could. The weekend I had Hunter we could not get a hold of grandma. Finally, she was able to receive an email with pictures of him. She wrote to me on Wednesday, "Stacie and Chuck, I am so jealous that I can't be there and hold that baby, you will just have to give him and extra hug for me. He is so precious Stacie. Anyway give him a big hug and a kiss for me. Love Grandma"
I knew she wasn't doing well and all I could think about was finding a way to get Hunter to Arizona so that she could see him in person. With Hunter's jaundice, I knew it would not be a possibility until he was done with his light therapy. Then I found out she passed away. I struggled with the concept that I was not able to have her see him in person, yet I knew with her having passed on, she could see him as often as wanted. I felt so blessed to have gone through the whole delivery ordeal which meant that Hunter arrived early. Because of this, grandma was able to see pictures of him and I was able to have some last words from her. What a blessing that was.
My Aunt Kelly asked that we write down a memory to share about Grandma. This is not my most favorite memory (that is a memory I don't share), but one of my favorites: "Being a grandchild that lived farther away, one of my favorite memories with grandma is when she was on her mission and we emailed back and forth. I wrote her diligently every week and she always responded with a personalized email just for me. We grew very close during that year and a half and I learned a lot about her. She made sure to share her testimony with me in each email. I have no doubt that she believed the gospel to be true. I have no doubt that she believed in a loving Heavenly Father. I know she had a close relationship with our Savior. After her mission, she and I stayed in touch by emailing or by having heart felt visits when we were together. I will always treasure the conversations we had and the time she took to tell me about her love for me and the gospel."
I will miss my grandma incredibly, but I know she is in a better place free of all pain and cancer free. Her funeral is Wednesday and I pray that Hunter's jaundice levels will be down so he can get off his light therapy and we can make it to Arizona for her funeral. I just want to say how grateful I am to have a knowledge about the Plan of Salvation. It is a blessing to have such great examples live on this earth and then leave a legacy for their posterity to follow. I hope to be like my grandma and I hope that my children will know what a wonderful woman she was. Sometimes when I see Hunter smile in his sleep, I can't help but think the veil is so thin that he is spending time with her. If so, I hope he visits her in dream land often.

9 comments:

Lauren Maley said...

Stacie, I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. I love you!

Janna said...

Stacie,That is so hard. If there is anything I can do let me know. My prayers are with you.

Chad and Bekah said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. You talked about her often and I know that you loved her dearly. I remember when we went down to AZ for Lindsey's wedding and we stopped at her house. She was so kind and then she took us out to lunch before we left to head home to Utah. I don't know her very well but she was so kind and hospitable to me, as I'm sure she was with many others. I love you!

Jessica said...

Oh Stace,
I just want you to know I was thinking about you a lot on Friday, She told me as well that she wanted to see Hunter before she passed, and I'm so sorry that didn't happen.. I hope that his jaundice levels are down so you can be here..

love always
Jessica

Lindsay & Mackay said...

I hope that you guys make it down here. It's pretty solemn down here. We would love to see you. :)

Kristin said...

Stace! We would love to see you! and baby hunter. :) and Chuck. :) Isn't it wonderful that she made a point to develop such strong relationships with us all? We have a great example to follow. :) keep us posted. We love you!

Chris and Megan Lee said...

We are so sorry for the loss of your grandmother Stacie! She sounds like she was very special :)

Braden & Kerri Jex said...

I'm sorry about your grandma! I lost my grandma this year as well. It's hard. I never had the chance to tell you congrats on your baby!! He is ADORABLE! Congrats on becoming a mommy!

Ryan & Amanda said...

Sorry it took me so long, Gardner Village is up by Salt Lake. It is about 7800 South and 1100 West.