Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Field Trip!


My class went on a field trip today to Harward Farms in Springville. It was their Farm Field day. It was actually a really fun field trip considering the wind and snow on the ground. We visited several stations and talked about farm animals (cows, pigs, goats, horses, sheep, chickens), we saw a sheep get her wool sheered off, the kids made seed necklaces, we learned about the food pyramid, how germs are transferred, how honey is made, farm saftey, etc. My favorite part though, was when I learned something completely new about Utah. We were asked to figure out what Utah's main crop was. My students said apples, corn, peaches, apricots, hay, wheat, etc. None of these were the correct answers. I guessed cherries and I was RIGHT! Amazing! I have lived in Utah almost my whole life (17 out of 22 years) and I didn't even know that. Aparently, Utah is in the top two in the nation for growing cherries. All these years I've just loved and cared about the corn. I've rarely tried the cherries. I guess I have something new to look forward to this summer. :) The field trip was a lot of fun, my kids loved it, and when we got back to school I got to send them to Computers and PE. It was a fun day!

2 comments:

The Moores said...

That sounds like so much fun. Where are all the cherry trees in Utah? That's one of the MAIN reasons why I'm excited for the summer. Fresh Fruit!

Mr. Walker said...

stacie you are top notch. i hope you're still teaching by the time i get around to having 2nd graders.